Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government
graphic element

New Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

How do I get started at Fresno City College?

You need to apply for admission, which you can do on the Fresno City College website. Just go to the home page and click “Apply Online”. That will lead you to the "Become a Student: 5 Steps to Matriculation" screen. After reading the instructions, click the CCCApply link on item #1 under "Applying to college is a two part process" in the middle of the page. You will be taken to a website called OpenCCCApply where you will apply. You will need to create a user profile before you can begin your application.

How much does it cost to take classes at FCC?

Students who qualify as California residents are charged $46 per unit, plus a mandatory health fee of $19 per semester ($16 for Summer term only), and a $1 student representation fee. Out of state residents and International students are charged $281 per unit, plus the $19 health fee and $1 student representation fee.

Parking permits are $25 per semester ($10 for Summer term only). Textbooks are extra, and can vary greatly in cost depending on the courses you plan to take. For more information about textbook requirements and cost, visit our Online Bookstore.

There is an example of what student costs per semester might look like.

How can I get a catalog and schedule of classes?

The course catalog is published every two years and contains majors, programs, degrees and certificates (along with their course requirements), course descriptions, college policies and procedures, and student services offered at the campus. The course catalog is only available on the FCC website.  You can download the course catalog for free.  It is no longer available in printed form.

The schedule of classes is published each semester and lists the classes being offered at FCC for the upcoming term, along with the times, days, location and instructors for each class. The Fall 2016 schedule is accessible online. It is no longer available in printed form.

How can I apply for financial aid?

The most direct way to apply for financial aid is to go to Students can also contact our Financial Aid office at (559) 442-8245 for more options.

How do I register for classes?

For students in good academic standing, there are two ways to register for classes. Students can use the WebAdvisor website or come into the Registration Office on campus. There are instructions for using WebAdvisor on page 12 of the Fall 2016 schedule of classes, and also on the WebAdvisor Main Menu page. 

What kinds of classes do you have?

We have a 360 page catalog filled with degree and certificate programs and vocational training.

What job/skill/trade training programs do you have?

We have vocational training in many fields of study, including auto collision repair, office assistant, medical billing, and pharmacy tech. Most of these programs are offered at either our Career Technology Center or through the Fresno City College Training Institute.

When do classes start?

The Fall 2016 semester will begin on Monday, August 15th.  The Spring 2017 semester will begin on Monday, January 9th.

When can I register for classes?

Continuing students should check their student email accounts regularly for their registration dates and information. Fall 2016 registration is open to all students until Friday, August 12th at 5:00pm.  Spring 2017 registration appointment dates for continuing students should be released in late October.  Registration dates for New, Returning and Transfer students will be released a few weeks after that.  

For students who need to apply (or re-apply) for admission, the online admission application for the Fall 2016 semester is available now by clicking Apply Online on the home page of the Fresno City College website.  The Spring 2017 application should be available on Tuesday, September 6th.

Do you have night classes?

Yes, we do. Look for the shaded class listings in the schedule.

Do you have online classes?

Yes, we do. There is a list of our online classes in the back of the schedule of classes.

Do you offer high school diplomas or GEDs?

No. High school equivalencies and GEDs must be obtained through an adult school.

Can I go to FCC if I don’t have a high school diploma or GED?

Yes. Students who are at least 18 years old at the start of the semester may attend without having earned a high school diploma or GED.

If I want to take classes at FCC and one of your other campuses, do I have to complete an application for each campus?

No. The application students complete for the State Center Community College District is good for all campuses and centers in the District, even though students must declare a “home campus”.

Do I have to see a counselor?

It is critical for students to take advantage of the services that counselors provide, including:

  1. Help choosing the right major and defining an educational goal.
  2. Developing a Student Educational Plan that will provide a clear path to follow toward your educational goal.
  3. Help students to better prepare for academic success.

Academic planning is crucial during the early stages of a student’s educational career, so:

  1. Plan early.
  2. Give careful thought to your educational/career goals.
  3. Make your academic success a high priority.

What do I need to do to see a counselor?

To ensure your counseling appointment is the most effective, first-time college students must complete all of the following before meeting with a counselor:

  1. Apply for admission
  2. Take the Math and English placement tests
  3. Participate in the New Student Orientation through our WebAdvisor website.

Fresno City College counselors are available by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, use the online appointment scheduler, or call the Counseling Department at (559) 442-8226

How do I log into and set up my student email account?

Setting up and using your student email account is crucial to your success as a Fresno City College student.  It is the only way we communicate with our students, and the only account students may use to contact their instructors.

To set up your student email account, go to There you will find links for set-up instructions and a list of frequently asked questions to help you with any problems you might have with your email.

 Who can I call for more information?

For additional information, students may call the Admissions & Records Office at (559) 443-8604.  For help with logging into WebAdvisor, student email, Blackboard, or Canvas, call the Student Systems Support Call Center at (559) 499-6070, or (866) 245-3276 from 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.

Last updated: 8/9/2016 6:09:20 PM